Director of Finance & Controller
Paygrade: $85,000 – $100,000 annually
Reports to: Vice President of Finance & CFO
Status: Exempt, Full-time employee
Thank you for your interest in joining the Coastal Community Foundation team. Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is an Equal Opportunity Employer with offices in North Charleston and Beaufort, as well as four affiliate foundations. We serve all nine counties on South Carolina’s coast: Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry and Jasper counties.
Established in 1974, Coastal Community Foundation works to create vibrant communities by identifying the challenges facing the region and bringing together resources to address them. Coastal Community Foundation is the largest community foundation in South Carolina, managing more than 700 charitable funds established by individuals, families and organizations and awarding tens of millions of dollars in grants and scholarships each year.
Financial resources are among the many tools we employ in our purpose to create vibrant communities. Throughout our history, we have served as a community convener to bring residents and leaders together to tackle major structural challenges, such as housing shortages or inequitable school systems. We also have a long history of helping nonprofits build their capacity, and incubating grassroots causes to provide them with structural support so they grow into fully operational organizations.
Why work for us?
When you join Coastal Community Foundation, you join a dedicated staff and Board of Directors working to be the reason why education, housing and access to opportunities are more equitable; working to be the reason why donors advance positive outcomes in their communities; and working to be the reason why our region thrives, together.
This dedication from our team is one of the main reasons we’ve been successful in earning the trust of communities we serve, and ensuring we adapt to their evolving needs. That is why we are deeply committed to supporting our staff members to ensure their success at work and outside of work. We offer a competitive salary and a full benefits package, including Paid Time Off, Holidays, Insurance (health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability), 401(k), and training and development opportunities.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
Inclusion with equity is one of our four core values at Coastal Community Foundation, so we not only work to recruit diverse candidates, we work to ensure our team members have all the tools they need to be successful. Our purpose is most effectively fulfilled through proactively supporting the values of equity, inclusion, and diversity. Diversity may be measured by, but is not limited to, differences in age, ethnicity, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic circumstance, class, religion, disability, geography, and profession. We acknowledge and respect the many differences that comprise thriving communities and seek diversity in our staff to ensure that a range of perspectives, opinions and experiences are recognized and acted upon in achieving our purpose.
It is our intention to promote a fully equitable philanthropic sector that justly represents and serves all our constituencies. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from candidates of color, of LGBTQ+ identity and of other historically marginalized communities.
About this position
The Director of Finance & Controller is the primary accounting and tax manager for Coastal Community Foundation and its supporting organizations. The Director of Finance & Controller performs a key role for Coastal Community Foundation (the Foundation) by performing key finance and accounting tasks, by managing the annual financial statement audit, tax and information reporting processes, and by assisting with budgeting and financial performance reviews for the organizations.
Finance, Accounting, and Compliance Responsibilities
- Oversees the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close process ensuring all required entries, reconciliations, and financial statements and other reporting are completed. Monitors budgets.
- Performs and/or reviews intercompany eliminations, journal entries and reconciliations.
- Manages trust administrator relationships and process transactions related to trust distributions.
- Manages process for external audit and preparation of annual consolidated financial statements.
- Manages the completion of annual Trust Tax Returns for donor funds with support of external preparers.
- Manages the completion of annual IRS 990 and 990-T returns for CCF and Supporting Organizations with the support of external preparers.
- Completes other required annual or one-time filings, including South Carolina Secretary of State filings, IRS 1099/1096 filing, tax exemption filings, and others are required.
- Responsible for external financial statements and financial information requests as needed.
- Manages and controls the approval process for accounts payable and grant distribution.
- Supervises the Finance Manager and ensures support, development, and monitoring of vendor and payables management, including accounts payable for CCF and Supporting Organizations, Credit Cards, Petty Cash, vendor W-9s, and 1099 year-end reporting.
- Supervises the Staff Accountant and supports position development for journal entries, month-end close, reconciliations, financial statement preparation, and departmental analysis for CCF and Supporting Organizations.
- Assists the Vice President of Finance with strategic planning and operational management of CCF and the Finance Department.
- Assists the Vice President of Finance in completing analytical reviews of key performance indicators and financial modeling as needed.
- Communicates regularly with department members, fellow staff members and leadership team members regarding accounting and tax questions.
- Prepares financial presentations and other communications for internal and external stakeholders.
- Assists donors, Board members, grantees and the general public in a courteous, helpful and respectful manner, with everyone given equal consideration.
- Assists in documenting and maintaining accounting policies & procedures as directed.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience, and Education
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in accounting or business preferred
- 5+ years of accounting experience required
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required
- Consolidated financial statement preparation experience required
- Nonprofit accounting and tax knowledge preferred
- Trust accounting and tax treatment preferred
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and accounting software applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Integrity, high attention to detail, and project management skills are necessary for this position
- Must be able to sit and work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. and lift small items (less than 15 pounds).
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Frequently communicates with colleagues and the public. Must be able to exchange accurate information.
How to apply
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, and essay response to the question listed below:
- Why do you want to work for Coastal Community Foundation?
Please submit materials to firstname.lastname@example.org combined in one (1) PDF document by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, February 12, 2021 for consideration.
About Coastal Community Foundation
Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is an Equal Opportunity Employer with offices in North Charleston and Beaufort, as well as four affiliate foundations. The Foundation works to create vibrant communities by identifying challenges facing our region and bringing together resources to address them. Through charitable funds established by individuals, families and organizations, our combined resources allow us to address