As of: October 1, 2021
Hired by: Vice President of Finance & CFO
Reports to: Director of Impact Investing and Treasury
Status: Non-Exempt, Full-time employee
Thank you for your interest in joining the Coastal Community Foundation team. Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is an Equal Opportunity Employer with offices in North Charleston and Beaufort, as well as four affiliate foundations. We serve all nine counties on South Carolina’s coast: Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry and Jasper counties.
Established in 1974, Coastal Community Foundation works to create vibrant communities by identifying the challenges facing the region and bringing together resources to address them. Coastal Community Foundation is the largest community foundation in South Carolina, managing more than 700 charitable funds established by individuals, families and organizations and awarding tens of millions of dollars in grants and scholarships each year.
Financial resources are among the many tools we employ in our purpose to create vibrant communities. Throughout our history, we have served as a community convener to bring residents and leaders together to tackle major structural challenges, such as housing shortages or inequitable school systems. We also have a long history of helping nonprofits build their capacity, and incubating grassroots causes to provide them with structural support so they grow into fully operational organizations.
Why work for us?
When you join Coastal Community Foundation, you join a dedicated staff and Board of Directors working to be the reason why education, housing and access to opportunities are more equitable; working to be the reason why donors advance positive outcomes in their communities; and working to be the reason why our region thrives, together.
This dedication from our team is one of the main reasons we’ve been successful in earning the trust of communities we serve, and ensuring we adapt to their evolving needs. That is why we are deeply committed to supporting our staff members to ensure their success at work and outside of work. We offer a competitive salary and training and development opportunities.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
Inclusion with equity is one of our four core values at Coastal Community Foundation, so we not only work to recruit diverse candidates, we work to ensure our team members have all the tools they need to be successful. Our purpose is most effectively fulfilled through proactively supporting the values of equity, inclusion, and diversity. Diversity may be measured by, but is not limited to, differences in age, ethnicity, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic circumstance, class, religion, disability, geography, and profession. We acknowledge and respect the many differences that comprise thriving communities and seek diversity in our staff to ensure that a range of perspectives, opinions and experiences are recognized and acted upon in achieving our purpose.
It is our intention to promote a fully equitable philanthropic sector that justly represents and serves all our constituencies. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from candidates of color, of LGBTQ+ identity and of other historically marginalized communities.
About this position
The Finance Analyst assists with funds management and financial reporting activities for Coastal Community Foundation (CCF) to maximize the efficacy of the Foundation’s cash and provide fiscal review of the underlying funds in service of accomplishing the goals and objectives of the Foundation. The Finance Analyst performs key finance tasks, monitors the financial aspects of individual funds, and performs select accounting responsibilities as part of the Finance team.
The Finance Analyst will agree with and demonstrate respect for the Foundation’s belief that “diversity” means the active inclusion of the entire community as welcomed participants in all Foundation activities; support the Foundation’s practice of encouraging diversity, equity and inclusiveness as the cornerstones of all that the Foundation does.
- Banking administration including processing incoming deposits, and outgoing accounts payable and grant distributions via electronic banking payments, checks, or wires while monitoring cash accounts to ensure adequate cash is on hand for operations
- Process investment transactions including journal entries and monthly balance swap analysis
- Monitoring of the organization’s direct loans, private capital, and other direct investments to ensure timely cash transactions as well as reporting occur; adjusting valuations and recording activity as needed
- Assist in the allocations process to ensure the accurate and timely posting of investment activity to the organization’s funds
- Coordinate the trust administrator relationship and process transactions as needed relating to trust income and distributions.
- Provide analysis and reporting support for Finance/Audit, Investment, and Impact Investing Committees as needed.
Fund Review Responsibilities
- Manage the process to create and timely distribute accurate and meaningful fund statements for donor advisors, fund holders and others
- Monitor the fund balances and work with other internal parties as necessary regarding new funds, endowments in process, fund minimums, investment pools, spendables, allocation updates, closed funds, etc.
- Work with external parties and internal work teams to enhance quality, frequency and type of information relating to fund activity
- Coordinate the acquisition and/or disposition of donated non-cash assets to ensure the timely valuation, recording, and consideration of compliance item
- Prepare and post journal entries as needed, including monthly entries relating to investments, trusts, and cash management functions
- Assist in the monthly reconciliation process for balance sheet accounts
- Prepare internal and external financial statements for CCF and supporting organizations, specific funds and projects, and/or reports as requested in compliance with accounting and finance standards
- Assist in documenting, maintaining and communicating accounting and finance policies and procedures as directed
- Complete various surveys for the community foundation field and other special projects as directed
- Knowledge, skills, experience, and education needed
- 3+ years of accounting and/or finance experience required
- Finance and accounting knowledge required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Integrity, high attention to detail, and project management skills are necessary for this position
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Foundant C-Suite experience preferred
- Must be able to sit and work at a computer for long periods.
- Needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc., and lift small items (less than 20 pounds).
- Continuously operates a computer and other office productivity equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Frequently communicates with colleagues and the public. Must be able to exchange accurate information.
How to apply
Click here to apply.
About Coastal Community Foundation
Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is an Equal Opportunity Employer with offices in North Charleston and Beaufort, as well as four affiliate foundations. The Foundation works to create vibrant communities by identifying challenges facing our region and bringing together resources to address them. Through charitable funds established by individuals, families and organizations, our combined resources allow us to address community needs today and into the future. We manage more than 700 funds and award more than $20 million in grants and scholarships on average each year. We provide personalized service to donors, localized expertise about nonprofits as well as community leadership on the most pressing issues facing our region. The Foundation serves Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry and Jasper counties.
1691 Turnbull Avenue
North Charleston, SC 29405